Centrally positioned, the motor uses gear changes to optimize performance.
The speed at which it rotates is linked to pedaling cadence, so if the rider changes gears wisely, the motor is in its optimum output range most of the time, which is what gives it an incredible average efficiency score of 80%. It’s also the reason why the autonomy of the system is so high without needing an oversized battery, and what allows users to easily ride 20% grade climbs!
Another huge advantage: the wheels are exactly the same as those used on a standard bike, so they are easy to remove (unlike a wheel that has a motor in the hub). There’s no cable to disconnect and no sensor to readjust…
Some of the characteristics and qualities:
- Central motor weighs less than 4kg
- Pedaling energy transferred to the wheel, optimizing the gear-changing system to obtain a high level of autonomy and cruising range
- High maximum torque: 50N for the crank (= approximately 30kg extra effort on the pedal)
- Legal nominal power of 250W or 350W (45km/h for certain Swiss models)
- Automobile technology, reliability, and optimum performance
- Low center of gravity for better stability
- Compact, tough, and water-resistant (IP54 rating, do not use high-pressure washers), with protective casing to shield from stones and debris
- 3 integrated sensors (effort, rotations, speed)
- Data analyzed 200 times per second
- Integrated controller